"Don't Think Twice, It's All Right"

2.18.2009

I think I'm just going to begin with the artists I respect the most. Next to Dave Monks, and maybe even ranked a bit higher in my book, is Zach Condon, of Beirut.
I was blessed enough to see them live last year. The tickets sold out within a few weeks, of course, and let me tell you, I've never seen more American Apparel merchandise, Native American inspired clothing, and high-waisted pants in one room before. It was a sight, but the music is what really captured my heart.
What I love most about Beirut is the soul they put into each performance, recording, any project, for that matter. I started listening to them about 2 years ago, with the release of Elephant Gun, and from then on it's been love. I was most impressed with The Flying Club Cup, released last summer.

They just released a double EP late January, March of the Zapotec and RealPeople-Holland. You will never hear anything like it and I'm making this statement without familiarity of your musical background. I won't even attempt to come up with an original name for a genre to describe it, because frankly, the genre will come to you halfway inbetween "My Wife, Lost In the Wild" and "The Concubine," two compositions that will blow you away (no doubt about it).

Truly, one of the best bands to represent fine musicianship. Give a listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment