"Don't Think Twice, It's All Right"

2.25.2009

"We're Persian, Like the Cat. MEOW!"



I was in D.C. a few days ago and walked past the usual rallies and activists, but this one caught my eye-it was my kin! About 20 or 30 Iranians were gathered, side-by-side, behind typical posters and pickets demonstrating.  One looked like my Uncle Navid, another reminded me of my cousin Sholeh, I felt at home, so I stepped forward to inquire. I found this one poster with a caricature of President Ahmadinejad, looking as if he had had a few too many shots of Whiskey and like always, scruffy, filthy-looking. A cannon was drawn through Mr. President's head and beneath it was written "Ahmadi Nejad Does Not Represent the Iranian People!" I didn't want to admit that I was Persian to the others, I never do, an instead, I stand around listening to what they're saying about non-speakers (Thank goodness I look white). I heard my-Uncle-Navid-looking-one tell the other guy to smooth back his hair because I was taking a picture and another girl told her sister that I had cute shoes :D. It was really cool-finally someone stood up for my home country. Iran is a beautiful, cultural place, a relatively unexplored land; we're classy people, and no, we have no affiliation with Al-Quaeda, come on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment